1st Woman Principal at EHS

May Yamaguchi

More stories from May Yamaguchi

Best Beach in OC
May 25, 2017
Men’s Golf
May 11, 2017

May Yamaguchi

Mrs. Aguilar at her desk by her new name plate.

Gina Aguilar has become our first woman principal of Esperanza High School. She has been serving for the PYLUSD district since 1994, and is looking forward to make Esperanza even better. Her former careers and experience of running schools will help her assist through her new job as a leader of a school.

Aguilar started working as a middle school teacher and activities director at Bernardo Yorba Middle School. She then joined our school to support the students as a counselor, and then was the assistant principal before her promotion.

She commented on her new position saying, “I am honored and humbled by the opportunity to serve Esperanza, the school that I love very much. The fact that I am a woman, that hasn’t happened before, just makes it sweeter. I feel so happy to have the support from the staff and the district.”  Mrs. Keiffer from the attendance office stated, “I’ve worked with her for a long time and she’s been always family first. Esperanza is a big family for all of us.” Aguilar is caring to everyone and is being supported by all of the staff members.

She will officially be principal next year, however, Aguilar is already on the move. “For the next couple of months, I will find the goals of what I want to do. I want Esperanza to be a school that everybody wants to come to, everybody in the community to know how great of the school it is, and excels at all areas,” stated Aguilar in confidence.

Yet, being a principal will never be an easy job, and Aguilar knows that. We asked her what would be the hardest task for her to go through. “Every time a tragedy strikes a high school, it really impacts the whole school leading everyone through difficult times. It’s always going to be challenging,” said Aguilar.

Lastly, she talked about what she was most proud about Esperanza. “Most about people. Esperanza has awesome kids, awesome staff, and they are excellent in all areas and I’m proud to work around these people for so long. Just being able to be a part of what kids accomplish and all the great things that happen at school is an honor.” stated Aguilar with a smile.

As she starts to get ready with her new career as principal of Esperanza, Aguilar will continue to excel serving for students and staff with all her ability.