The History of: ASB

Noah Clay

More stories from Noah Clay

Seth Corter

A strong sense of camaraderie can be felt in ASB, Devin Blais and Noah Aulerich are a good example.

It can be expected that, in the 44 years of its operation, the school has undergone constant change in various departments. This year, The Aztlán will be featuring a series of articles cataloguing these changes and the way such departments operated beforehand. To kick off the series, the subject of this month’s “The History of:” is the Associative Student Body, or ASB.

A major source of fuel for school spirit is “Beat YL” week, in which the school indulges in some friendly competition against rival Yorba Linda High School before the fated football game. Before Yorba Linda opened its doors, however, the official rival of the Aztecs was Los Alamitos; this led to less participation due to the distance one had to drive in order to even attend the game.

Rallies and other assemblies have changed significantly as well. “The rallies have gone from Renaissance-style to more student-based,” said Meghann Lukach, activities director. A prime example of this is the annual Student Appreciation Rally, in which the school takes a more holistic approach as “we focus on things other than just good grades,” said Lukach.

A major change that mainly seniors will remember is the Battle of the Sexes, which was replaced by the Clash of the Classes after accusations that it encouraged crude stereotypes. Lukach said that the Clash of the Classes “is more inclusive.”

Overall, however, ASB has done a good job diversifying and exemplifying their influence on campus. “We’ve added more on to get kids more connected and included.” said Lukach. “School spirit has grown, and people are more excited to come here.”