Clash of the classes

Carlee Mack

Senior Kennedy Smith fighting for the class of 2018 during Friday’s Clash of the Classes assembly.

Friday, Feb. 9, was the Clash of the Classes rally. The gym was decorated in the class colors- red for freshmen, blue for sophomores, yellow for juniors, and green for seniors. All the classes were very enthusiastic and ready to beat the others.  

The seniors ultimately won with 70 points, followed by the juniors, then the sophomores, and finally the freshmen.

During the rally, classes could gain more points through the games that each class played against each other, the book drive, each of the classes’ rap videos that were shown during the rally, the judging of the decorations at the rally, and the spirit shown by the students of each class. The judges were Addie Collins for ninth grade, Erica McNab for tenth grade, Jason Goettsche for eleventh grade, and Craig Matthews for twelfth grade.

In the teacher game, Kressler Nguyen-Valdez (fighting for the freshmen), Kathleen Owens (sophomores), Whitney Leonard (juniors), and Megan Radak (seniors) competed against each other. The teachers had to think of things that were the color of the class they were representing. Owens won with a grand total of 23.

The hall decorations are based on the themes for each class: futuristic freshmen, send-me-back sophomores, juvenile juniors and sleepy seniors. ASB member Chloe Masciale, freshman, said that they decorated the halls to get everyone involved in and excited for the Clash of the Classes.

Meghann Lukach, activities director, stated, “I always love this rally to see how excited and spirited students get for their class. I think this rally really gets students involved and engaged in cheering for their class and school!”

Sophomore Yareth Fernandez said, “My favorite part was the teacher game because Mrs. Owens dominated and really helped us out.”

Masciale also stated, “Clash of the Classes is a fun way to get people involved in school and is a nice break from academic things. It gives people a new perspective on school and how fun it can be!”