2018 Car Show Winners

The annual car show this year was a success, with hundreds of students flocking to the event during lunch.

Held on Feb. 2, the event was promoted by the school to students as a place to show off a car, with several contests being held based on best classic, off roader, sports, overall, and the cutest, with counselor Brianne Gullotti and activities director Meghann Lukach as judges.

Students rallied to the event for cars, hot dogs, and the AMP radio. The marines were present to promote their army branch, responding to questions. With several Jeeps being featured, the military had a presence at the event.

At the end of the event, several winners were picked for the “best of” contest by Lukach and Gullotti. Junior Emmanuel Palmerin’s Nissan 370z ‘16 won best Sports Car, Senior Sadie Arganda’s Volkswagen Beetle ‘74 won cutest, and Senior Cory William’s Ford F-250 2004 as best off roader. The student winners spoke about the cars they owned.

Despite thinking he would not win against all of the other contestants,

William’s Ford F-250 2004 won as best off road truck. The car has a “6 liter V-8 bulletproof engine with an oversized turbo,” he said. “It has 400 horsepower and 500 ft lbs of torque”.

As the driver of it, he finds that it looks “to be very aesthetically pleasing” to him.

The best sports car owner, Palmerin, was surprised to see himself win in contrast to all the other entries. The Nissan 370z he owns had been “dwelling over” over him for years.

“I put work into the the engine work and looking into the interior of the car,” said Palmerin. Who expressed great pride to the judges regarding his car.

The small Volkswagen that won cutest car, a manual, is a treasure to Arganda, as it has been passed down from her grandmother to Arganda’s mom, whom she hopes to have it passed down back down to.

“When I was in elementary school, my mom would pick me up in it, and I would hide because I was embarrassed. Now it’s cool,” said Arganda, “I love it because not many girls drive manual.”

Winners felt that it was a good chance to show off cars to their fellow students, saying that it brought them closer to their peers. Despite the presence of several adult entries, the winners felt that it was still more of a student event.

Additional winners of the contest were Bill Somsak’s Packard Two Door Coupe ‘39, winning best overall and Ian Cook’s Ford Thing ‘26 winning the best classic car. All winners were announced by the ASB and were given a basket of candy, sunflower seeds, a USB charger, and a head rest.