The Pulse of Esperanza High School

Kyle Pearce

Freshman Ethan Vo on Adobe Illustrator trying out different fonts.

Enrolling in the World of Graphic Design   

In room 774, there is a unique classroom unlike others that is filled with Apple computers. That class being the graphic design class is a art class on campus taught by teacher Thomas Metcalf. It is an interesting class that focuses on teaching students on how to create graphic art and use programs like Adobe Illustrator.

The class is not quite known around campus as it seems to be slightly hidden. Some students may be interested in the class, but are scared away because they do not know the instructor. Metcalf is the graphic design instructor who wanted to be apart of a design firm and then focused more on apparel, screen print design and artwork on clothing.

He was originally from England, but after being in the United States, his biggest dream job would have been working for an action sports company like Quicksilver or Vans. Metcalf is not your typical teacher as he is a ROP instructor. A ROP teacher is a person that has some sort of prior experience in the industry they teach about.

Metcalf, an open-minded person admits teaching is challenging and students have taught him to be patient. Metcalf’s understanding of students’ needs have made him an outstanding favorite of students. A senior who once took the elective, Robert Lopez said, “Mr. Metcalf is a great teacher because he is very helpful and teaches all the tools you need to know.”

This class is a great choice for anybody that needs to fulfill their art requirement. The class is designed for beginners and does not require any background in art. Some students like Lopez have just taken the elective class to receive credits but, have found an actual passion for the art.

The course includes no homework but, has many enjoyable projects through the year. At the beginning, students will learn the basics of how to use Adobe Illustrator. Students have instructions and new tools to use for every assignment but, is given enough creative freedom to expand on their artwork. For those who do not feel strong enough in their art ability, this class will empower and strengthen their creative confidence.

Metcalf makes it clear near the beginning of the course that the class is more than just about learning graphic art. Metcalf also helps teach students how to be respectful towards others while on the internet and how to use the platform correctly. Metcalf has made it his duty to teach students to be responsible on the web.

The class can be very useful for students looking for future careers in industries like fashion, business, art and many more.

“I chose this class to help me learn design techniques for my own clothing line,” said senior Alec Clementes. Metcalf has seen students go onto college and continuing to use graphic design and still use the same tools.

“I use all the tools that I learned. I do it for graphic designing and designing my own clothing brand,” said Lopez. Lopez has now created his own brand called Human Vices and has found some success with his sells and his hoodies can be found worn by many students across campus.

With an open-minded personality, students may be able to take this elective and find a new passion of theirs and a possible new future career awaiting them. Students may learn something new about themselves that they never knew.

The Aztlán • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

You must be logged in with your pylusd email to leave a comment. Please keep comments appropriate, this is a school website and anything that violates the EHS code of conduct will be handled by EHS administration.
All The Aztlán Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *