The Pulse of Esperanza High School

The unconventional pumpkin project: Humanities students are to take an ordinary pumpkin and make it extraordinary.

Humanities Open Minds to the World of Art

If you have never taken a fine art and you want to enroll in a class where you learn about the history of art, the culture of architecture and the world of people, then humanities is your choice. This class is a mixture of art and history and helps students develop a sense of taste.

When you walk into the classroom, you notice how the seats are all arranged in rows and the seats are close together for interaction among other students. In this class, there’s only classwork and rarely any homework.

The projects depend on the topic the teacher discusses in the classroom. For example, during the month October, students  design an unique pumpkin for the project, and for extra credit you can design a gingerbread house. Junior Jeffrey Duensing said, “The pumpkin project was my favorite class project.”

The teacher of humanities is Steve Nordwick and he is the most passionate teacher and strives to help students learn about the history of art. “I want to make the students more comfortable for performance and teach them to learn the appreciation of arts,” Nordwick said.

“This class is described to help students look at people’s cultures and times to see how we hold valuable and helps support social science and language arts classes,” Nordwick said. Nordwick wants to make the students learning expanded and help their fundamentals.

The key to success for communicating with the public is “helping students develop a sense of taste and make them more rounded and to know their own values,” Nordwick said. The key to communication is everything in this class.

Nordwick started teaching here in 1998 has been teaching humanities for 20 years and still counting. Nordwick went to Cal State Long Beach and Humboldt State University. “I taught and worked in every field of art and had a natural background of training for art myself,” Nordwick said.

Nordwick has a variety of different units of studying, “I studied research and arts because they never change and different emphasis happens within arts,” Nordwick said.

“The students kept reminding me of why diversity of arts is important and mutually benefitting,” Nordwick said.

Senior Kayla Carr said, “This class is very lively and interesting because I get to learn about the architecture of Roman and Greek civilizations and get to learn the fashion of it as well.”

Carr has said some wonderful things about this class and she strongly advises other students to this class.  “It makes you have a different output on life and an open mindset,”said Carr

Nordwick said, “Students can walk away knowing they developed a sense of their own style and taste.” This class can help students with finding their own unique taste.

This class has helped many students over the years and has become a passion for many other students. If you join this class you will walk away learning about the arts of many lifetimes ago and develop your own sense of taste.

“It’s not just a class, it’s also a community of people appreciating the beauty of art,” said Carr.

The Aztlán • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

You must be logged in with your pylusd email to leave a comment. Please keep comments appropriate, this is a school website and anything that violates the EHS code of conduct will be handled by EHS administration.
All The Aztlán Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *