The Pulse of Esperanza High School

Karalyn Knupp

Freshman Kylie Tonetti delivers lines for a vocal warm up. The class is reading lines of tongue-twisters to help with enunciations.

All the World’s a Stage in Theatre

In a classroom littered with props and spare costumes, students of the second period Beginning/Intro to Theatre class gather in the center of the room to begin their recently learned breathing exercises. Along with the interactive activity, the students will take notes during lectures that will later be used in an assignment to demonstrate their understanding of the topic.

Teacher Nataly Garcia, who is going through her third year of teaching here , says “[The] class is sort of unorthodox and can sometimes act as a relief from [the student’s other] strongly structured and academic classes.”

Freshman Kylie Tonetti adds to this, saying “the workload isn’t too bad”  and that she enjoys doing projects and activities that allow her to connect with her peers.

Tonetti believes you can walk away from the class with lessons that are easily applicable in the real world, such as “[it] helps you learn to become more confident in public speaking and making friends.” Senior Rhylee Brooks agrees and says that “you learn everyone is different,” and the performing aspect improved her approach to

activities like giving oral presentations in other classes.

Garcia greatly demonstrates her enthusiasm for teaching when observed in the classroom. Garcia says, “[my students] will always surprise me and they’ve taught me to trust my instincts and personal abilities more.”

Brooks says, about Garcia’s teaching style, “[she’s] very vibrant and acts almost like a student with giving personal examples.”

Keeping in mind that a student will grow within each class, Garcia’s second period Intro to Theatre class can help a student grow “as individuals, performers, and note-takers,” says Garcia about her pupils.

Leading up to first semester finals week, students of the class will be required to go out and see at least two live performances to write a review about to demonstrate everything they’ve learned so far about what it takes to put on a production. Garcia says “seeing a show requires time, but not necessarily money,”

Since South Coast Repertory is currently partnered with the class to offer them free tickets to every other show they put on.

An offer like this peaks Tonetti’s interest when she says, “I have always been into musicals and theatre and I want to learn tips to make me better.”

Garcia hopes that South Coast Repertory will continue the educational partnership with the class and that meanwhile, former  teachers and other experts in the field will visit the class to give pointers on whatever topic they’re on at that moment.

In more of the physical performing aspect, Garcia says “I hope that with the theater reconstruction coming to an end, we’ll be able to utilize it more [than the

classroom].” Near the end of the year, the students will be tackling monologues and

once polished, will hopefully be performed in the Little Theater here on campus.

To fulfill your Fine Arts graduation requirements, the Intro/Beginning Theatre Arts class is a good starting place. Brooks admires Garcia’s teaching style and the class curriculum when she says, “we’re not learning from videos, we learn from her.”

The Aztlán • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

You must be logged in with your pylusd email to leave a comment. Please keep comments appropriate, this is a school website and anything that violates the EHS code of conduct will be handled by EHS administration.
All The Aztlán Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *