Seniors Taking Untraditional Paths After High School

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Jason Skendrovich receiving his honorary congressional certificate from the Orange Assistance League at the Salute to Service dinner. The award honors high school enlistees to the military.

Jason Skendrovich

Jason Skendrovich

Jason Skendrovich

While going to 4-year or 2-year college may be the most common places to go after school, they are certainly not the only places. Some seniors such as the three below choose more unique paths after high school.

Jason Skendrovich is going to pursue a career in the Air Force. He decided to take this path when he was just a little kid. “I was also fascinated with G.I. Joes and such. I always knew I wanted to make a commitment to serve to my country but I didn’t know in what way.” After joining the Esperanza AFC JROTC in his freshman year, he settled on the Air Force.

Skendrovich talked to an Air Force recruiter as soon as he was legal to be recruited into the Air Force in his junior year, and now he is already a part of the Air Force as an enlistee. “I think the military is great! My family and friends greatly support me,” said him.

Skendrovich is going to become an ISR (Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance) operative, which means that he will fly to provide vital intel to support or to pave the way for other military activities. Even though flying will be a big part, according to Skendrovich, but “it isn’t too dangerous.”

He plans to attend Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles and enroll at a AFROTC detachment after four years of military service using his GI bill, after that, he plans to commission back into the Air Force as a 2nd Lieutenant.

“I look forward to the benefits that come through military service … That and making my family proud, knowing that I am a success to my family,” said Skendrovich.

While Skendrovich joins the military, Kyle Pearce decides to take a path in music. “Im finding an internship at a recording studio in LA, to try to learn more about music production,” said Pearce. He has been involved in music production for about four years now. He has always loved music and started to play the trumpet and guitar in elementary school.

“I’ve always used a creative mind, music is a good way to express myself, music is a way to make me confident,” said Pearce. According to him, his music has a “spacey” vibe, which is not too common, and also fits with what he thinks is vital to success: “Making yourself stand out, not sounding the same as everyone else.”

Pearce is going to a community college and he is still indecisive about where to go after that. “My mom fully supports me, [my dad] doesn’t support music fully. He doesnt think doing music is financially stable, and my dad is all about stability,” said Pearce, who admits that this path is not all fame and glory: “There’s no knowing if it will for sure work. I can easily get a bachelor in music production but that doesnt mean i will have a job.” However, he is confident with his ability.

“It’s a risk,” said Pearce, “but it’s just who you know, and to network yourself.” When asked what he seeks in his future plan, he answered “probably just gain respect for my ability and finding my purpose”

Arianne Chance has a different plan. She will be attending the ATI college in october of this year. ATI College is a vocational college in Norwalk, California that specializes in healthcare education.

Chance is going to learn to become an ultrasound technician there. “I choose this path because I really like to help people and make them happy,” said Chance. She has two cousins as ultrasound technicians as well, “they really like it”, and she decided to pursue this path after one of her cousins graduated in her sophomore year.

Chance hopes to work in a hospital, where she can “see and do everything and ultrasound technician can offer.” Working at a hospital is her current goal, and she believes she has the necessary qualities.

“I just need to have the right mind set, study, and really focus and absorb all the information I learn!” Chance looks forward to learning and helping people in the future, “I just hope I like it and I won’t get bored because I will be doing this for the rest of my life.”

There are a lot of different possible post-high-school plans and there is no saying that some are more noble than the other. Each person has their calling, interests and dreams. These untraditional plans are a fine demonstration of that.