Do’s and Don’ts of Online Schooling

Obtained from Google Images

The video call app, Zoom, moves the student to a more private, yet awkward, video call, in order to include group work during the online school year.

It’s no secret that every student is trying to figure out online school for themselves, but what some haven’t considered is that teachers had to train in order for their online teaching experience to not become a total disaster. Both parties have never had to work under such conditions, so it can only be expected that both will encounter stumbling blocks along the way. To combat this and maybe give both sides some much-needed insight, here’s a list showing the dos and don’ts of online school.

Students, 

DO charge your computer the night before school every day to avoid having to plug it in right before class.

DO ask your teachers about homework or any assignment if you feel the directions were vague or if you’d just like extra instruction.

DO turn the brightness down on your computer. Schools know that looking at screens for long hours can begin to damage your eyes, so help yourself out with this simple step. 

DO buy blue light glasses to help prevent headaches from looking at the computer screen. They’re only $15 on Amazon and they help immensely.

DON’T procrastinate with any assigned homework. This seems like a no brainer, but with the massive amounts of homework teachers are giving out during this time, it’s especially vital to not let yourself get behind.

DON’T turn your camera off during the Zoom call. If you have your camera on during the call, it’s easier for the teacher to know that you’re present, and there’s less of a chance of being marked absent.

DON’T let yourself go without eating or getting a snack during the work day. Why is this important?

Teachers,

DO give your students time in class to get the homework done. Students are being assigned more homework than usual, and an extra 20 minutes in class to get ahead is really nice.

DO let your students have five minute breaks to stretch our legs or use the bathroom.

DO use sites like Nearpod or Kahoot, so class time doesn’t become a 75 minute note-taking lecture. Why is this important?

DON’T front load students with five pages of homework just because we have two days before the next Zoom call. Keep in mind, each teacher is assigning a new load of homework everyday. Therefore, students can feel pressured as work starts to pile up throughout the day. This action also leads to having two days worth of work in one sitting to avoid falling behind.

DON’T assign work that must be printed. Many students’ printers either don’t work, or they just don’t have one, so the only way to complete such work would be to painstakingly copy the page onto a piece of lined paper.

And arguably most importantly, DON’T put students into breakout groups with less than three people. Lots of students will walk away from their computers during a breakout group, leaving the other student to just be left there without a partner. Placing students into groups of three or more people will lessen the chance of that happening.