The Pulse of Esperanza High School

Rylee Allen

Megan Kamaly, junior and principal chair in Advanced Band, sight reads a possible new festival piece during first period. First Period is preparing for upcoming SCSBOA festival on March 26.

Band: What Goes On Off the Field

“My philosophy of education is always to keep people laughing through their tears,” band director Brad Davis says as he sits across from me in his office.

The band room during 1st period houses Advanced Band, with assistant director Greg Turner often conducting the ensemble.  Sounds of scales, long tones and other warm ups and exercises linger through Davis’ office walls.

Davis goes on to explain that, “If you don’t enjoy the process, you’re really going to be unhappy all of the time.”  Upon deeper thought, this quote seems to apply to just about everything.

Deciding which fine art course to enroll in is a difficult decision; yes, it is a requirement in order to graduate, but it’s also an opportunity to take an enjoyable extracurricular unlike any academic class.  One of the most diverse options is 1st period Advanced Band.

Enrolling in 1st period Advanced Band also automatically enrolls you in the Entertainment Unit’s Marching Band- the group you’ve likely seen putting on a field show during halftime at the football games.  This year, the EEU competed in the 4A division of the SCSBOA Field Championships, coming in 7th out of 12 groups at Championships, but out of 24 in the 4A division.

Davis says Advanced Band, along with the required 0 period Marching Band, gives students the creative opportunity of making and exploring music, “with the structure and discipline that is required to be successful in college, or in other professional pursuits.”

Another benefit is that the 0 period Marching Band provides PE credits to students, who can therefore also receive a Letterman for participating a minimum of two years.  This Fine Art knocks out two birds with one stone, without the addition of busy work homework.

Freshman Siomara Totolzintle says she’s enrolled because she “love[s] learning about music and playing.”  Totlzintle also added rhat the class motivates her to be “the best… [she] can be.”

The band is more like a family than a class of peers.  Over the summer, the EEU has an annual Beach Day, and even included a Band Olympics at Yorba Regional Park.  Sophomore Corinna Gaudette says, “I enjoy being in band and having the opportunity to learn music,” but she also added that she “like[s] hanging with friends [in band].”

It’s easy for students to grow and have fun in the program, in part, because Mr. Davis is such an upstanding teacher and person.  “Mr. Davis [is] my favorite teacher,” says Gaudette.

Davis studied at Emporia State University in Kansas, and late went to California State University, Long Beach, with experience as a performer and a director or teacher.  Currently, he is in his 12th year at Esperanza, and has been the head of the program since 2008.

Davis is well loved as a director and mentor.  Totolzintle says, “I know that if J ever need anything I can always ask [Mr. Davis] for help.”

Of course, not all freshman or new enrollees have a background in music.  Not to worry, Davis explains, “[There are] systems in place to help [new players] get started.”  There are instruments available for check out, and Assistant Director, Glen Turner, gives new players lessons for the first five to seven days during the first period class.

While first period is flexible, and anyone willing to work is capable of being brought up to speed, there are undeniable time commitments.  During first semester, there are Wednesday rehearsal from 3:30-7:30, and Thursday sectionals from 3-4. Zero period occurs everyday, and the band plays at all home football games.

However, once you’re in the feel of things, “It’s fairly easy,” Gaudette says.  “Mr. Davis encourages us to practice,” and Davis notes the program has “a great number of student leaders… that can do some peer tutoring.”

So, if you want to enjoy your high school experience, join a Fine Art that challenges you, prepares you, and provides you with lifelong memories.   As Davis says, “If you don’t enjoy the process, you’re really going to be unhappy.”

The Aztlán • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

You must be logged in with your pylusd email to leave a comment. Please keep comments appropriate, this is a school website and anything that violates the EHS code of conduct will be handled by EHS administration.
All The Aztlán Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *