The Classes Clash Again

Ali Rehm

The sophomores go crazy during the clash of classes rally before showing off their class rap.

It’s that time of the year again, and Clash of the Classes is coming up once more. For the week of Feb. 4 to Feb. 8, there was a dress-up theme that students participated in with a rally on Feb. 8.

The “fantasy freshmen” dress-up day was Feb. 4, and this was a sports theme, while the “southern sophomores” theme was Feb. 5. On Wednesday and Thursday are the juniors and seniors, respectively: their themes are the throwback “jumpy juniors” and Stranger Things-inspired “stranger seniors.”

On Feb. 8, there was a school-wide Clash of the Classes assembly that included the entire school. It featured all kinds of games and even the Sadies reveal–Spacey Sadies. The juniors won with both their rap and the overall competition, and that was par for the course. Though, this year’s Clash of the Classes was a bit different.

“We [don’t] have class shirts,” said Meghann Lukach, the activities director. “Students decided that [they] didn’t like the old design.” The only shirts that are being sold are the black ‘class of 2019’ senior shirts, but students are definitely allowed to wear school colors and show their spirit.

“Put on your class color, show up and watch the activities that are taking place,” said Lukach, encouraging students to at least show some spirit and support their class. “Come to the rally and take it all in.”

While the class shirts are different, the rest of the rally should be the same. The games usually played at the rally are being played at break and lunch of this week, and at the rally, there will be “class yell outs and class dances, along with the usual rap videos,” according to Lukach.

This year, ASB has been putting in just as much effort as they always do, but it all seems to be a bit more meaningful for the senior class.

“As a senior, I have so much appreciation for the school and my spirit just amplifies during times like these,” said ASB member and senior Laila Najem. “My main goal for Clash of the Classes is to show my appreciation to the class.”

A lot of effort and planning has been put into Clash of the Classes 2019: “ASB has been working on Clash of the Classes since December,” said Lukach. “It does take a while.” This dedication clearly shows, as the entire 200 building is decorated with things ASB has made, and the rally itself has had a lot put into it.

“Clash of the Classes unites students and brings out their competitive and school spirit,” said Najem. This sentiment was shared by our principal, Gina Aguilar, who said herself: “I am always happy and proud to see school spirit!”