Gehringer and Yarruhs Retire

Katie Flanagan

More stories from Katie Flanagan

Academic Decathlon
April 13, 2023

Image by MonikaDesigns from Pixabay

Mrs. Gehringer and Mrs. Yarruhs will be retiring after years of hardworking. They both are looking forward to relaxing, traveling and doing the simple things in life.

Dance teacher, Sue Gehringer, has been teaching at Esperanza High School for over thirty years.
(Photo obtained on Google Images)
Teri Yarruhs, Special Education instructor, is excited to experience a slower life and the simple things like fishing at the lake and trying out new recipes. (Photo obtained on Google Images.)

In the era of Covid-19, teachers have endured more than ever. From the stress of planning for a new year to navigating Zoom, teachers were forced to adjust to a new normal. Although most instructors will be returning back for the 2021-2022 school year, there are some who we unfortunately have to say goodbye to. Both Sue Gehringer and Teri Yarruhs are retiring and pursuing a new chapter of their life.

Dance teacher, Sue Gehringer, has been teaching at Esperanza High School for over thirty years. She was also named “Dance Educator of the Year” by the Orange County Performing Arts Center and OCMA for both 2002 and 2005.

Speaking on her favorite part of teaching, Gehringer said, “The adventure, every day was different. Every kid needed something different. And hopefully, they learned something from me that they didn’t know before.  If the only success my students had was appreciating dance and performing arts and learning to be great audience members, that’s a win.

One thing Gehringer is excited for is the opportunity to travel the world in the near-future. She also encourages the students to continue to work hard and build foundational skills during their high school years.

“With good grades comes choices. Do the work.  That’s the way you get what you want.  Nothing is given to you so you have to learn to work hard,” said Gehringer, “You have to learn the art of conversation and interpersonal skills again. More problems happen in college and jobs and life because the simple communication we should have learned on playgrounds and social groups did not happen face to face. It’s harder to be mean face to face too.  Less bullying, less snarkiness. More kindness, more success.”

Teri Yarruhs, Special Education instructor, is excited to experience a slower life and the simple things like fishing at the lake and trying out new recipes. But her love for teaching will never waver.

“In the 35 years I have had the pleasure of teaching, I have seen so many amazing things – so much perseverance and struggle, joy and sorrow, victory and defeat, and tragedy and triumph,” said Yarruhs, “I do not believe a person can become a teacher.  I believe a person IS a teacher – is called to be a teacher.  I believe a true teacher believes in the gifts and talents of young people.  I have had so many unbelievable experiences, and my life is truly blessed and deeply richer for it.”

Even as she leaves Esperanza, her legacy will live on. One message she has for every single Aztec is to cherish their high school years and pursue their passions .

“I would urge all students to enjoy school instead of complaining about it. To dream big, no matter how ridiculous or far-reaching the goal or dream may be,” said Gehringer, “Always rise…..always fight….but know which battles to fight and which ones to let go of.  I want you all to know you are amazing, spectacular and perfect.  Don’t ever sell yourselves short.”