Get to Know the EHS Study Abroad Students

Sophia Bouyakzan

More stories from Sophia Bouyakzan

May Yamaguchi, from Japan, will spend her junior year at Esperanza.

Having international students on American campuses ensures stronger people-to-people connections, a critical element in sustaining important bilateral relationships. In other words, having students studying around the world, and then returning home to graduate and get jobs, benefits us all, according to huffingtonpost.com.

There are currently two foreign exchange students at EHS: May Yamaguchi and Dmitri Giritiv.

May, a junior, who is from Nagoya, Japan (which is the third largest city in Japan after Yokohama and Tokyo) states that “my first day here I was scared, but I’m getting the hang [of it].” Her host family ‘sister’, Seleste Ramos, attends the school and aids her greatly.

When asked if she like anything better in America than in Japan and vice versa, she replied saying “I like the weather better here and the sky without clouds.” However she states that the showers in Japan are better because they are bigger. May will stay here for one year then go back to Nagoya, but she includes “I’m having fun.”

Dmitri Giritiv, who is also a junior, is from Moldova. When asked how he was adjusting to America and the school he states it is “very good, there are lots interesting things,” and that it is fun here. He includes that “it is sometimes hard, sometimes simple” to accustom to the changes.

He claims that there is nothing better in Moldova than here and that “this atmosphere more comfortable.”