The Pulse of Esperanza High School

The Aztlán

The Pulse of Esperanza High School

The Aztlán

The Pulse of Esperanza High School

The Aztlán

Should Students Have to Wear Uniforms

image obtained through pixabay

Students should be required to wear uniform attire to school because they will feel equal to their peers, will feel more confident about themselves, and school will become a more professional environment.  

For many years, the education system has been debating the topic of whether students should or should not be required to wear uniforms to school. It is argued that uniforms should be required for equal reasons, however many contradict this opinion arguing that uniforms ban creativity.

Nord Anglia, writer of Nord Anglia International School, believes that all students should be required to wear uniforms. “When students all wear the same clothing every day at school, it levels out the playing field,” says Nord. “Without uniforms, children from poorer backgrounds could feel isolated if their parents are unable to afford the latest styles of clothing.”

By saying that some students will not be placed “higher” than others, it demonstrates the equal aspect that uniforms provide. Students will feel more accepted and safe because they don’t have to feel like they are worse than other students. If all students are equal then this can help prevent many universal problems such as bullying, and anxiety.

Nord Anglia adds to her article by explaining how uniforms will bring low self-worth. “If a child feels like they don’t fit in, or they don’t have the latest and best clothing, it can be damaging to their confidence” Lack of confidence was the “most significant barrier to academic growth.” Because low self-esteem is one of the biggest barriers to learning, we must eliminate the aspects that cause it.

Along with a lack of confidence, another view Nord Angina establishes is how school uniforms allow students to develop an “affinity” with learning. 

Angina states, “Once they put it on, their purpose is to work hard at their studies. A sense of professionalism develops within each child, leading to more focus in the classroom.” Students will take school more seriously and professionally if uniforms are required for schools. They will appreciate the learning aspect more, and grow as a student as a result. 

Although the clothes a student chooses to wear allow them to be creative, the mental health, and learning growth of students is more important. Schools should require uniforms for the best of students’ mental health, and equally.