HOSA’s International Victory Lap

Jewel Magalong

More stories from Jewel Magalong

A Love Story: The Owens
February 13, 2017

Photo courtesy of Valerie Easton

HOSA wins big at summer conference.

Earlier this summer, EHS’ Health Occupations Students of America for Future Health Professionals (HOSA), participated in this years ILC. The convention was held  as a result of ten students medalling at the State Leadership Conference (SLC) held prior.

The convention was held at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel from June 22-25 in Nashville, TN. Students competed in their specific events once again, this time against students from across the globe. Now seniors Simi Johal, Maitri Patel, and Leslie Ramirez competed in Community Awareness as well as Michelle Polen, Natalie Kdeiss, and Sophia Luzzi. Junior Emilee Carr and Corrine Butler competed in Prepared Speaking. Kayla McGeorge competed in Medical Photography. Hannah Friesan competed in Healthy Lifestyles as well. Among those students, Polen, Kdeiss, Luzzi, McGeorge, and Butler were seniors who graduated prior to attending the conference.

McGeorge, who competed with strep throat, ultimately placed top ten internationally. “We were running back and forth from urgent care to her event in such hot weather! She went in, recited her speech, even as somebody walked in and interrupted, and came out so uncertain about how she did. But the thing about Kayla is that she’s just so sincere with her high little voice and all. I think the judges really picked up on that, and she ended up placing top ten internationally!” said HOSA and Medical Academy Adviser Valerie Easton.

HOSA’s future is looking up, pushing for even more success this upcoming SLC which will take place on March 16-18, 2017 in Sacramento. With a prolonged goal of achieving an array of morals and ethics inside and outside of the medical realm, students will continue to work diligently for themselves and to represent our very own academy.