Licensed Medical Assistants!

Haley Laitinen, Reporter

On May 21st, students a part of the Medical Sciences Academy took the NCCT’s National Medical Assisting examination. These students had been preparing for this test for months prior, and were enrolled in the academy for all 3 years. The exam consisted of 165 questions (150 scored questions) where students had to receive a score of 70% or higher to pass. 

Liliana Reimbold, senior, shares her experience as a “full circle moment because [she] had worked towards that for 3 years. To know that it all paid off felt super great.” The MSA students prepared using the interactive review system available on the NCCT’s site. This year, Mrs. Easton was proud to have a passing rate 12% higher than the national average. The 2022 senior MSA classes had a passing rate of 68% compared to the national average of 56%. 

The exam covers units such as pharmacology, medical procedures, phlebotomy, diagnostic tests, office procedures, billing/ insurance, and laws. Provo college instructs, “no one should expect to breeze through without studying. Put in the time to adequately prepare” (Alyssa Jordan). MSA students who took this examination, myself as one of them, would agree to this statement as the test required deep concentration and focus to pass. 

Overall, the examination was a success for the Medical Sciences Academy. On average, this certification in California allows students to work as licensed Medical Assistants, which have a salary of $36,000-$49,000 per year. 

It was motivating for MSA students when Mrs. Easton brought donuts before the examination to show her support. For future test takers of the NCMA, my advice would be to study the interactive review thoroughly as it was a very beneficial tool for me. Moving forward, students can apply to jobs as a licensed Medical Assistant, continuing their path along the medical field.