California mandating later start times for schools

Isabella Duron, Reporter

California becomes the first state to require later start times for schools. Yes, you heard that right later start times! Here is everything you need to know.  Governor Gavin Newsom signed the Senate Bill 328 back in October of 2019 but gave the school districts a three year window to implement the new schedules. This bill will now be going into effect on July 1, 2022. Before you get too excited this bill only applies to middle schools and high schools, It requires that the first period bell can ring no earlier than 8am for middle schools and the high school first period starting no earlier than 8:30 am. This rule does not apply to “zero” periods, they can still take place before 8 and 8:30 am. Experts and advocates have pushed for this Bill to pass because research shows that starting school later reduces rates of depression, suicide, obesity, and sleep deprivation because it aligns closely with the sleep-wake cycle of teenagers which will cause overall better health and school performance. Now more kids will be able to sleep in and actually get the right amount of sleep they need to help them stay focused while at school. Study shows when kids get more sleep they are less tired than usual and come to school on time rather than being late or absent. The increase in attendance is exactly what the advocates and experts are hoping for which could lead to more attendance based state funding for the schools. This new law could turn out to be a win win for everyone but we will have to wait until July 2022 to find out.