National Novel Writing Month

How to write a novel- in a month!

Anna Manthei, Editor

Writing can be challenging; this is no secret to any student who has attempted to write a perfect essay for their English Class in the past. Deadlines and academic papers can make writing feel like a chore, a task to be completed and nothing else, but it doesn’t have to be this way!

Those who have pursued creative writing know the excitement of creating the perfect story without the constraint of, ‘what grade will I get on this?’ If you enjoy writing, National Novel Writing Month might be the perfect challenge for you! National Novel Writing Month (otherwise known as NaNoWriMo) is a challenge created to inspire and motivate writers to complete one entire 50,000-word novel, in a single month! This event is hosted by the nonprofit nanowrimo.org in the month of November and has thousands of participants each year who successfully complete their novels (also known as ‘winning’ the challenge). Writing 1,667 words a day is no easy task, and a big commitment, but the outcome is absolutely worth it. 

If NaNoWriMo sounds like a task you’d be interested in taking on, visit the website and start by making an account! Planning a novel takes time, and it is crucial that some sort of outline is completed before November begins. The challenge’s website has plenty of resources to help writers come up with ideas, outline, and stay motivated! There are also forums on the site to connect with other writers and share inspiration. NaNoWriMo has no requirements for the genre of the novel, the plot structure, or any other aspects (other than the 50,000 words), which means that writers have complete creative freedom over their projects. There is no better time than now, get ready to go out and start telling your story through National Novel Writing Month!

Sign up here:

https://nanowrimo.org/