Foreign Exchange Students at EHS

Tamara Mahdi, Editor in Chief

At Esperanza High School there are currently 8 foreign exchange students enrolled for this semester, their experiences are highlighted as they reflect on their new environment and what it has been like for them.

Alyssa Amascolo, Grade 12

What made you want to be a foreign exchange student?

I wanted to experience new things, improve my English, discover a new culture different from mine, and just live a very different lifestyle.

Tell me about where you’re from and what it’s like. 

I’m from Italy and it’s really different from here, there’s no school sports teams and in school there are only 13 subjects of study. In Italy there’s more aesthetics and places are smaller, not to mention the food is better. 

What has your experience been like in California?

So far it’s been going really well, I visited Catalina Island and went parasailing which was a fun experience. Games have been fun also because they’re not the same in Italy. 

Favorite memory so far?

When I went to my friend’s house, swam in her pool, and then made s’mores for the very first time. It was so fun trying something new and being with friends. Another good memory was homecoming, it felt like I was experiencing the “American Dream” being a part of the party scene and it was a new, exciting experience.

Enrico Cendron, Grade 12

I wanted a change of pace, to broaden my horizons and see the world outside my bedroom.

I live in Northern Italy, during the winter it’s really cold and the summertime is very nice. There’s smaller, freer spaces which means the main transportation is by bike, and there’s a lot of small towns and communities. There’s also a lot of parties and stuff like that.

Very different but I like it because I want to experience the American lifestyle. I’m open to experiencing the new things America has to offer, a new system of living and thinking, approaching things; everything’s so different since it’s on the other side of the world but it’s been good. 

Favorite memory so far?

Football games but also summer days with my host brother and his friends. I had a lot of fun, I was on top of this huge wave at Newport Beach and had a fun bonfire at Huntington. 

Giulia Gandi, Grade 12 

I decided to come here to improve my English, explore a new country, and become more dependent and confident. 

I’m from a small town in Northern Italy and it’s nice because you can go anywhere on foot without a car. The people are affectionate and the food is good. 

Fun, my first football game stands out because it’s not in Italian schools and school stands out too because it’s different. 

Favorite memory so far?

My first football game and going to the Griffith Observatory with my host family, they’re really nice and fun and I live with Nika Reiland. 

Tammy Hu, Grade 12

T: I wanted to be a foreign exchange student for management and to learn physics. I also know I want to go to a university here in the US. 

T: I’m from China and it is a beautiful country. Since COVID we couldn’t leave for a year, so I came here.

T: I love it here in California and I love this school. Everybody is super nice and math is a lot easier, but I miss my parents

Favorite memory so far?

T: My favorite memory so far would be going to Universal Studios in Hollywood with my sister. 

Luisa Konrad, Grade 11

L: I was interested since I was little because my dad was a foreign exchange student his senior year in California and I wanted to follow in his footsteps. Initially though I was scared to leave for a year without my parents but I ended up making my decision. 

L: I’m from Spain but I don’t live in the mainland, I actually live in the Canary Islands which is near Africa. There are eight main islands and I live in Tenerife. It’s small with only a population of 1 million and as big as Los Angeles. There’s nice weather year round, it’s like Hawaii. 

L: Good so far, I joined varsity volleyball so I made friends there. People here are usually nice and the culture is very different making it a nice, different experience. 

Favorite memory so far?

L: Visiting Catalina Island and going parasailing was a lot of fun and definitely a fun experience. At school it would be when we beat Yorba Linda in volleyball.

Nika Reiland, Grade 11

N: I always wanted to improve my English as well as experience new things and meet new people. 

N: Luxembourg is a very small country with a population of 700,000. The main language is Luxembourgish and everyone speaks at least 4 languages. 

N: I’m not missing home because I’ve been really enjoying my experience here. I love my host family and I’ve met a lot of new friends. 

Favorite memory so far?

N: My favorite memory was morP or homecoming as well as being a part of the volleyball team. 

Clara Temme, Grade 10

C: I wanted to improve my English skills because job-wise in Germany if you can’t speak English then you’re pretty much lost. I also wanted to get to know the culture and the people of America.

C: I’m from Cologne, Germany. There’s a lot of nature with trees everywhere and really nice people. Germans are very on point and punctual, like if you tell them to be somewhere at 12 they’ll be there at 11:59. It’s very diverse with mixed culture and different people. 

C: It has been very different from my hometown, especially the school system because in Germany there are 4 different types of school graduations and schools, to go to college you need the 4th and highest level of graduation. But my experience has been really good, I met friends in tennis and I’m in a big friend group. I went to morP and homecoming; morP was really fun while homecoming was pretty overhyped but it was fun to experience new things. 

Favorite memory so far?

C: Lunch at school, talking and hanging out with friends. 

Flora Hu, Grade 9

F: To gain more knowledge, and the education system being simpler suited me.

F: I’m from China and my hometown is beautiful, I love it there. There are also very kind people. 

F: So/so, I like break and lunch because I get to talk to my friends and feel good, but in class sometimes I can’t follow the teacher and understand well because of language and it discourages me. 

Favorite memory so far?

F: That would be my birthday yesterday, on October 11th. My friends surprised me with gifts and my friend 

waited 40 minutes to surprise me in 6th period because she doesn’t have one.