AP Study Tips

AP Study Tips

Lisa Winchell, Editor in Chief

Unfortunately, right after prom, the AP testing season commences. As students prepare for the Advanced Placement (AP) exams, it is important to find effective study tips that work, it will be different for everyone. However, with prom happening right before the exams, it can be challenging to balance social events and studying. Below are just a few study tips specifically for AP testing that can be useful.

Set a schedule

Creating a schedule is crucial in maximizing your study time while still enjoying other social activities. Start by identifying which AP exams you will be taking and the date of each exam. Then, create a schedule that includes dedicated study time leading up to each exam. Try to start as early as possible. AP exams cover a lot of material, so it is important to start studying early and create a study plan. Begin by reviewing the course and creating a list of all the topics that will be covered on the exam. Then, divide these topics into manageable chunks and schedule specific times to study each one. Make sure to leave enough time to review all the material before the exam.

Make use of study groups

Studying with friends or classmates can be a great way to prepare for AP exams, especially if you are all taking the same tests. You can quiz each other, discuss difficult concepts, and share study strategies. Just be sure to stay focused and avoid distractions. 

Use practice tests

Taking practice tests is a great way to identify areas where you need to improve and to familiarize yourself with the format of the AP exams. Make use of online resources such as the College Board website, which offers free practice tests for each AP subject. You can also find practice tests in review books or ask your teacher for resources. Make sure to time yourself when taking practice tests to simulate the real testing conditions. 

Stay organized 

With so much going on during prom season, it can be easy to lose track of important information such as test dates or study materials. Make sure to keep all of your study materials organized in a binder or folder, and consider using a planner or calendar app to keep track of important dates and deadlines.

Prioritize sleep and self-care

It is easy to get caught up in the excitement of prom season and neglect self-care, but getting enough sleep and taking care of yourself is essential for performing well on the AP exams. Make sure to prioritize sleep and rest, especially in the days leading up to each exam. Eat healthy and make time for exercise or other stress-relieving activities.

Use multiple sources Don’t rely solely on the textbook or class notes for studying. Use multiple sources such as online resources, Youtube,  study guides, and review books to get a well-rounded understanding of the material. The more resources you use, the more likely you are to remember and understand the material.

Make Flashcards Creating flashcards is an excellent way to memorize key terms and concepts. Use index cards or online flashcard tools like Quizlet to create flashcards for each topic. They are a great on the go study technique to get down the material faster. Quiz yourself regularly to reinforce your memory and ensure that you have a solid grasp of the material. 

Use Mnemonic Devices Mnemonic devices are memory aids that help you remember information. Use acronyms, rhymes, or other mnemonic devices to help you remember key terms and concepts. For example, “Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally” (PEMDAS) for the order of operations in mathematics (parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction). 

Preparing for AP exams can be challenging, especially when they are starting right after prom. However, with these study tips, you can balance social events and studying to ensure that you are prepared and confident on exam day. Remember to start early, stay organized, make use of study groups, take practice tests, use multiple sources, create flashcards, use mnemonic devices and take care of your body and mind. Good luck!