The great trick-or-treating debate

How old is too old?

Jocelyn Castañeda

More stories from Jocelyn Castañeda

Seth Corter

(Front to back: Ryyan Dewan, Tristan Armstrong, Aniela Kuchnio, and Cameron Gandara) Seniors and a Freshman, all different ages, but still able to enjoy getting some of that free candy!

Since Halloween is approaching, many have been wondering, “how old is too old to trick-or-treat?”. Well, no one ever told me about an age limit to trick-or-treating. Therefore, I believe that teenagers can still participate in this exciting night.

Halloween is a night meant for laughter, fun, dressing up and getting as much candy as our cheap dollar bags can fit. So why should we stop people from experiencing this night simply for their age?

High schoolers tend to stop trick-or-treating either because they are too “cool,” or parents say they’re too old to and won’t pass. But we do pass. As long as you do not have a beard or look like you’re 20 or older, you will pass.

Trick-or-treating is time you get to spend with family and friends. Why would you want to waste those years of free candy? Plus, your years to act like a child are fading. We enter high school and automatically get the feeling that we need to grow up now. However, this is not the case. Obviously we need to start maturing, but high school is not over yet. So enjoy it now, for it will go much faster than you expected.

Freshman Aurora Galli stated, “I like trick-or-treating because it just brings out the child in me. I know I’m a teenager, but I’ve grown up trick-or-treating. It’s just become tradition. Also, I love candy, so there’s that. I think I’m going to stop once I become more busy or if I suddenly get out of the mood, but that’s probably not going to happen. You’re never too old for trick-or-treating!”

Knowing how to be respectful and be in the spirit are the only things necessary for teenagers to pass and trick-or-treat with no problem. Yes, you will get those comments from people who are too “cool” to trick-or-treat, saying that it’s not a cool thing to do, and you will hear people say you’re too old to trick-or-treat. But think of this: if you are still considered a kid, then how can you be too old to trick-or-treat? Not to mention, it’s a tradition everyone has grown up doing. Therefore, we do not need to stop trick-or-treating just because we are in high school.