Eyes On Your Own Screen, Please

Jocelyn Castañeda

More stories from Jocelyn Castañeda

Photo attained from Pixabay

The use of screen monitoring software, Classwize, has disrupt the building of trust between students and PYLUSD staff.

Attempting to build a connection with our teachers during remote and Zoom learning has been hard enough. For them to violate our trust by using Classwize to “guide students”, according to PYLUSD management, is not okay.

This failed attempt to control online learning by using a screen monitoring software was very unprofessional and even embarrassing. If communication is key, then the use of this site should have been announced before teachers were given access. We did not agree nor permit to surrender our rights to privacy. Students and parents should have been notified and educated on the use and purpose of Classwize instead of experiencing a surprise attack.

Without detailed training from the district, many teachers absent mindlessly exposed what Classwize allowed teachers to see. From those released pictures of teachers accidentally sharing their own screens, you see the student’s name, their opened websites and their opened screens themselves on Chrome. These images immediately raised concerns as one of the student’s Aeries screen was visible. That then leads me to ask the question, what else could these teachers have seen? Here’s an extreme, yet very possible example. What if a student was logged into their bank account and was checking their, what’s supposed to be, confidential information?

Teachers and district administrators, we understand that you’re frustrated with virtual schooling. But guess what? So are we. While we work to get back to normal, your job is to try your best in ensuring our trust in you. We should be confident that our teachers have education in their first interest, not figuring out everything we’re doing, snooping around students’ personal computers.

What you could’ve done was to send out a notice before the use of Classwize. This would’ve acted as a warning to what was to come. Even then, our permission should have been granted.

Thankfully, after a school day of teachers forcefully closing students’ tabs on Chrome, spying on our online whereabouts and working on losing our respect, the district decided to disable the use of Classwize and “reevaluate its use and functionality,” according to PYLUSD.

Respectfully, do better. Better communication is appreciated from now on. Thank you.