The Pulse of Esperanza High School

The Aztlán

The Pulse of Esperanza High School

The Aztlán

The Pulse of Esperanza High School

The Aztlán

AVID Seniors

AVID, which stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination, is a college preparatory program which is designed to help students succeed academically and prepare for college. This program focuses on helping students learn important skills such as organization, collaboration, critical thinking, etc.

At Esperanza High School, AVID is offered to all students from grades 9-12. Although, the most important class is the AVID seniors who are soon to graduate this year. These AVID seniors are being taught by Mrs. Callaghan, a teacher who teaches both Language arts and AVID. There are currently 18 students enrolled in the class which seems like a small amount, yet, it is good for an AVID class to be small since everyone gets to be included and collaborate. Many of the students in the class all chose AVID since they believe that it has helped them since their freshman year by staying organized.  

Three AVID seniors Saanvi, Allesandra, and Mayte claim that AVID throughout their years of doing it has improved their organization skills and has helped them prepare for college. What has been noticed from this AVID senior class and others is that all of the students plan on attending a type of college to pursue their education which is the first class of seniors who choose to be filled with future college students. Colleges that were mentioned were Fullerton College, Santiago College, Orange Coast College, UCI, and many more. Although many will be heading to a community college, almost all students have a plan to transfer out after 2 years and go into a 4 year university. For example, Barbara Martinez (Current AVID Senior) states that she will first go to a community college for two years and then transfer to Cal State. This method is used by many students since they believe it is more affordable/ideal. 

The whole AVID senior class recommends AVID to all students since they believe that it has helped them with high school by being organized and having a good schedule. Seniors like Barbara, Vincent, and Mayte believe it is a great idea to start AVID as early as possible since it helps them be prepared for high school, keep track of all homework assignments, and has mainly helped them obtain great critical thinking skills. A question that came up

a lot was, why did these seniors choose to do AVID? Well, Gabe Gonzales, a current AVID senior, chose to do AVID since his 8th-grade teacher influenced him to do it, Gabe stated that his teacher believed it would help him with resumes and other college preps. Simranjit Kaur, the current AVID senior, also goes by the name Sim, chose to do AVID since she liked the way it helped her stay organized and also helped her with college preparations.

The whole AVID senior class recommends AVID to all students since they believe that it has helped them with high school by being organized and having a good schedule. Seniors like Barbara, Vincent, and Mayte believe it is a great idea to start AVID as early as possible since it helps them be prepared for high school, keep track of all homework assignments, and has mainly helped them obtain great critical thinking skills. A question that came up a lot was, why did these seniors choose to do AVID? Well, Gabe Gonzales, a current AVID senior, chose to do AVID since his 8th-grade teacher influenced him to do it, Gabe stated that his teacher believed it would help him with resumes and other college preps. Simranjit Kaur, the current AVID senior, also goes by the name Sim, chose to do AVID since she liked the way it helped her stay organized and also helped her with college preparations.

A plus about the course AVID is that all of the Seniors enjoy going to their AVID class since it is a class to look forward to. Many positive comments of Mrs.Callaghan were made which let many of the junior students know that the senior AVID class is being taught by a great teacher. A special shout out to Simranjit Kaur, Barbara Martinez, Vincent Langenwalter, Ulysses Aguayo, and Jeremy Mondero for being committed to AVID for 6 years. Another plus about doing AVID for 4 years or more is that you get to be nominated for an AVID scholarship which will help with your college funds which currently both Jeremy Mondero and Gabe Gonzales are enrolled in. It is yet to be determined who will get the scholarship. Special congratulations to Gabe and Jeremy.  

Taking AVID during your senior year is important and beneficial since it can provide you with valuable skills that can help you transition into college and beyond. AVID helps students develop critical thinking, organization, and study skills, which are crucial for success in higher education. The most important thing that the AVID senior class has done this year was apply to colleges, scholarships, financial aid, etc. As we say goodbye to our AVID seniors, we then welcome the next AVID senior class.