The Aztlán

Star Wars Hits The Target

More stories from Alejandro Maldonado

The Gold of Summer
June 7, 2018
Back to Article
Back to Article

Star Wars Hits The Target

Image obtained through Google Commons.

Image obtained through Google Commons.

Image obtained through Google Commons.

Image obtained through Google Commons.

The lengthy five-month wait for a new “Star Wars” hit was worth it.

“Solo: A Star Wars Story” released on May 25 and is currently the “top box office” movie. It has made about eighty-five million during the opening weekend.  The “PG-13” movie was perfectly directed by Ron Howard and written by Lawrence Kasdan who co-wrote “The Empire Strikes Back”, “Return of the Jedi”, and “The Force Awakens”.

In this movie, we learn the life of the outlaw Han Solo (Alden Ehrenreich) before meeting well-known characters such as the Jedi. In a pleasing comedic storyteller mode, we watch Solo escape a safe planet and leave behind his love, Qi’ra (Emilia Clarke). He joins the Imperial army and with his “teenage” attitude he was put in jail.

With a funny and pleasing scene, the viewers witness Solo meeting his best friend. They both escape jail and run away. Later, he runs into a group of “good” thieves lead by Beckett (Woody Harrelson). Solo joins the team, they get a ship and go on a mission. There is a train scene which was spectacular, the camera angle and sound was perfect for this scene. Needless to mention every scene looked amazing and the cinematography was great.

The train mission goes “off-track” making it difficult for Beckett’s situation. Beckett is stuck in a unsolvable problem with a murderer, Dryden Vos. This part looks astonishing the suits of his men and the house is all gold. Solo meets Qi’ra at this weird place and is confused, but happy. Beckett sucks Solo into the hole and he can’t leave. Dryden gives the team a mission that is vital to their lives. The team goes searching for a cool young gambler that everyone knows about. This paragraph may be giving too much plot away. Let’s move on making it more general.

The acting was good, even though this wasn’t really a “Star Wars” movie, but a story. All character roles were well-played, but one stood out. Donald Glover, from the popular “This Is America” song, nailed the role of Lando Calrissian, the gambler. Since, Lando has been in only two older “Star Wars” movies we didn’t know much about him until now. Donald Glover brought back the humor and the acting of the first Lando (Billy Dee Williams).

They go on the mission in space and I need to say this scene was breathtaking. There was a huge monster and the scene kept me on my toes. I want everyone to see this movie so I won’t give away the end. Although, I will say that the ending is great which is rare in movies. Also, there is a twist that most “Star Wars” fans will enjoy.

• Star Wars Hits The Target

Showcase

CONTEST: Caption It!

• Star Wars Hits The Target

Showcase

Men’s Waterpolo Season Recap

• Star Wars Hits The Target

Features

Pipers Creek Geese Invade the Soccer Fields

• Star Wars Hits The Target

Opinions

Why Thanksgiving Break Needs to be 3 Days Long Again

• Star Wars Hits The Target

Features

Left Hand Horrors

• Star Wars Hits The Target

Showcase

CONTEST: Caption It!

• Star Wars Hits The Target

Showcase

Men’s Waterpolo Season Recap

• Star Wars Hits The Target

Sports

Women’s Tennis Season Recap

• Star Wars Hits The Target

Editorials

Schools Need to Take More Precautions With Voting on Campus

• Star Wars Hits The Target

Features

The student news site of Esperanza High School
Star Wars Hits The Target