The Colin Kaepernick Conundrum

Photo obtained through Google Commons.

Michael Toyos: “The reason athletes stand during the National Anthem is to show respect not only for the country, but for each other. It is supposed to represent a brotherhood in sport.”

Recently, Colin Kaepernick, quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers, has been refusing to stand during the playing of the National Anthem at his games. This refusal has, of course, drawn tons of media attention, so much so that it’s even being written about for school newspapers. With all the attention he’s bringing, it’s also exposing the attention of police brutality and the oppression of black people and other people of color. I don’t deny that police brutality exists, nor do I deny that oppression still exists in some parts of the county, but I do believe it is blown out of proportion.

As for how he is protesting, I don’t agree with it. There is nothing saying he isn’t allowed to sit during the National Anthem, and if he wants to protest this then he’s free to do so, but another way should be found. The reason athletes stand during the National Anthem is to show respect not only for the country, but for each other. It is supposed to represent a brotherhood in sport. They may be on opposing ends of the fields, but they still play under the same flag. By not standing, he disrespects his fellow athletes. That may not be his intention, but it’s a fact of the situation.

I really, truly despise the hypocrisy of not only his individual protest but by most protests on these issues today. Kaepernick is refusing to stand for a flag that allows him to sit. In some other countries around the world, doing what he is doing would result in the police taking him somewhere and quietly getting rid of him. As for the masses protesting,  join the police and solve your issues from the inside. If you are physically and mentally capable of joining and you aren’t a criminal, then you can make a difference. It’s just a suggestion that I think might actually solve some problems for once.