How To: Common App Essay

Megan Elmore

More stories from Megan Elmore

Men’s Volleyball
May 11, 2017
Basketball Wins State
March 30, 2017
Senior+Bruno+Ferreira+prepares+his+common+application+essay+in+Mrs.+Collins+Language+Arts+class.+

Jessica Parker

Senior Bruno Ferreira prepares his common application essay in Mrs. Collins’ Language Arts class.

Fall is a busy time for seniors as they begin applying to college. If one is considering applying to out-of-state schools or private schools, the college likely uses the common app. As part of the common app, students must complete an essay of no more than 650 words. Here are some tips for students having a hard time getting started.

•    Be Unique! Former Admission officer at Brown University Harry Bauld said in his book On Writing the College Application Essay: Secrets of a Former Ivy league Admission Officer to avoid generic topics such as sports, travel, and favorite things. However he did say,”But even one of these subjects can work if approached correctly.”
  •    Show not tell.  College Board advises students to explain information in detail instead of name dropping events or experience,in an article on the big future sections of their website. They say to include specific ideas, topics and evidence to support your idea in your essay.
  •    Use your own voice. College Board also advises students to find their own voice in their essay. The College Board articles states, “Do write in your own voice. For example, you could write about a real experience that you had and how it made you feel you had to take action.”
  •    Stop trying to impress. As silly as it sounds, writing to impress colleges makes the process more difficult. In an article for US World News and Report, Essay Coach Janine Robinson said, “One of the biggest mistakes students make is trying too hard to impress. Trust that it is those every day, specific subjects that are much more interesting to read about.” Language Arts teacher Addie Collins agrees and said, “Don’t just talk about your greatest success, talk about something you have learned.
  • Read Examples: Reading successful essays will help give you more ideas on topics that you could write about in your essay. In the same US World News article, Robinson said, “The best advice is to read essays that have worked. You’ll be surprised to see that they’re not winning Pulitzer’s; they are pieces of someone. You want your story to be the one she doesn’t put down.”