Literacy Advocates Club

Connecting Students to the Community

Megan Elmore

More stories from Megan Elmore

Men’s Volleyball
May 11, 2017
Basketball Wins State
March 30, 2017

Ashlyn Fuentes

Senior, Brooke Sorenson gives up her Friday afternoon to read to a group of Fairmont Elementary students.

Literacy Advocates Club  provides students with the community service opportunity of reading to first and second graders at Fairmont Elementary School. The club was founded last year and since then involvement has only grown.

President Senior Ally Vuong founded the club as part of her Girl Scout Gold Awards. Vuong credits her friend for the idea of Literacy Advocates Club but saw a reason to start it in her own life. She said that she was babysitting her younger sister and realized how attached she was to technology. Vuong remembered how kids used to read actual books and the more she thought of the idea the more she was excited. “ I wanted to bring that love for reading back to some young kids,” she said.

The club meets every second Thursday of the month in Mrs. Leonard’s room and read to students on the second Friday of every month from 3-pm. The club has impacted both Vuong and students at Esperanza. “LAC has changed EHS by encouraging high school students to bond with younger students and realize how much of an impact they can have,” said  Vuong.

In addition to reading to students, the club also tries to encourages the Fairmont elementary school children to read outside of school with their parents. “We encourage their parents to spend quality time with their children by reading to them through a monthly log sheet and prizes,” Vice President Justine Guzman said.

The club can help students earn community service hours while also teaching them important skills such as talking in front of people. Interested students should attend the next meeting to sign up for the next reading day.