You raised cans, now where do they go?

Mr.+Gomez%2C+from+the+transportation+unit+at+Second+Harvest%2C+comes+to+collect+cans+to+bring+back+to+the+warehouse.+

Sam Assad

Mr. Gomez, from the transportation unit at Second Harvest, comes to collect cans to bring back to the warehouse.

After the excitement of the canned food drive, students may wonder where the 30,000 cans go and how they help the needy.

All of the cans go directly to the Second Harvest Food Bank. “After the food drive is over, the food bank will come pick them up,” said Mrs. Lukach, activities director. “They take all the items to their facility in Irvine, and then mass distribute them to people and families in Orange County.”

The Second Harvest Food Bank feeds “200,000 families every week or two weeks,” said Al Gomez who is apart of the transportation department with the food bank.

Gomez said school canned food drives help out the bank as well. “It is a big impact, every little bit counts,” he stated.

“I wanted to bring in cans to beat YL because we could’ve won but it also helped people,” said junior Jada Maglinao, “I brought in 140 cans.”

“Churches are associated with us and we distribute all the food to Orange County,” Gomez said when explaining how the process works. The food bank doesn’t serve individuals there, but agencies come in to pick up food.

“I think it is great that we collect so much food that will directly go back to the less fortunate in Orange County,” said Lukach. “With the holiday season coming up the food bank really appreciates all the donations!”

“I brought in 270 cans and I wanted to bring them in to support the school and I also wanted to feed the hungry and needy,” said Madison Roach, a junior in ASB.

A wide majority of people are helped by the food bank. “We do a lot of senior citizens, churches, and pantries. We do elementary schools, high schools, UCI, and Orange Coast College,” he explained, “College students have tuition and they have problem with food- they’re struggling. People work and go to school full time and it is hard.”

Students can also volunteer at the food bank by visiting www.feedoc.org. “Usually, students work four hour shifts and it is a perfect opportunity,” said Gomez. Not only do you receive more hours but you make a difference in the community.