Attend Aztec University for your college needs

Alex Tiscareno

Mrs. Kettering representing Esperanza Aztecs in front of the sign.

College is just around the corner, and students might find themselves lost as where to start. Luckily, PTSA hosts Aztec University which prepares students about college and life in general.

“It is informative for both parents and students about college information, the requirements,  what colleges are looking for, how to obtain scholarships, and financial aid,” said Mrs. Kettering, the A-G counselor. “Sometimes it’s social and emotional information. We have a night for anxiety and depression for students to address and handle those feelings if they feel any kind of those emotions. It address all the needs of students.”

“There’s a lot of great information on financial aid, not only what FAFSA is and how to apply,” said college and career technician, Ms. Combs.

Sessions are held in the library on varying days at 7pm. “There’s different ones,” Kettering said. “College 101 address all options and all post education, trade schools, 2 year, and overview all those needs, financial aid. And even if they don’t go to 4 year or 2 year it is necessary info.”

There are multiple types of different sessions of Aztec University. Students and parents can find information on the school website. “We have had anxiety and depression sessions and financial aid,” said Kettering.

Upcoming dates include Jan. 10 which is recommended for juniors and seniors. “They will get PSAT and FAFSA instructions line by line on how to fill out the information,” said Kettering. February is community college night. April 26 is college 101 which is recommended for freshmen and sophomores.

“Students and parents should come because there is one on one time with the presenters, and they can ask them questions,” said Combs.

Aztec University has been taking place for 15 years. “The counseling department and PTSA created the program for students and parents,” said Kettering.

There are also other ways to find information, including online. “I do counseling newsletters, and you can sign up. t gives you the same information and news on scholarships,” said Combs. “You can go to the Esperanza website to sign up.”