Golf swings into season

Senior+Carson+Baehr+competing+during+a+golf+match.+

Ali Rehm

Senior Carson Baehr competing during a golf match.

The men’s golf season started in late February, and is now in the middle of their season.

Although they’re only about halfway through, men’s golf won’t be going to compete in CIF because they won’t have enough qualifying scores, according to coach Kevin Claborn.

Despite the season not going as well as they would like, seniors Esteban Padilla and Shane Kuhlman said that “it’s been fun” because of their teammates.

Senior Preston Pope said, “All of the seniors on the team right now joined freshman year, so we’ve all gotten pretty comfortable with each other.”

This can be seen in how when Padilla and Kuhlman were asked about their favorite game, they brought up funny memories of their teammate junior Jackson Lang and their adventures with him on the golf course.

“The rest of the guys too,” added Pope. “The newer players have shown quite a bit of potential and seem to have gotten into the swing of things.”

There are two freshmen on the golf team this year with three sophomores, three juniors and six seniors.

The six seniors, two of the juniors and a sophomore play varsity, but Claborn rotates them in and out of JV “depending on how they are performing.”

However, Pope said, “We’ve all individually progressed quite a bit since the seasons has started, despite the rainy weather.”

And Claborn can see this as he has said, “We have shown improvement as a group and are learning what it takes to be competitive.”

Their goals for this season are to “capture a win or two vs. El Modena and continue to improve overall,” according to Claborn. “We have had glimpses of success already this season. We shot 220 in a match against Canyon, so we have the ability. It’s just a matter of consistency.”

The team beat Brea on March 25, so “things are looking up as [they] head into league play in April,” said Claborn.