Early Release vs Late Start

More stories from Corinne O'Grady

Meet the Drug Dogs
October 30, 2019

Image obtained through Google Commons.

Many students wonder why our school has late start Mondays instead of Early Release Wednesdays. There are pros and cons to both, but late start Mondays are better for students and teachers because it allows students to get a little bit of extra sleep, rather than getting out 30 minutes earlier.

Many people believe that school starts too early, and students can’t focus and concentrate in class because of how early class starts. Late Start Mondays allow students to get an extra 30 minutes of sleep, which doesn’t sound like a lot, but is a lot more beneficial than getting out only 30 minutes earlier than normal.

The state of California is even pushing back school start times. Instead of starting around 7:20 am, schools will start around 8:20 am so students can get the recommended amount of sleep, starting in the 2022-23 school year, according to NBC News.

Mondays are already hard and stressful for both students and teachers, so extra sleep can help a lot. If we got out early, everybody would still be tired.

Another reason why starting later is better is because some parents can’t pick up their kids earlier because they have work, especially if they are in middle school, or can’t drive.

While there are many pros to Late Start Mondays, there are also a few pros to Early Release Wednesdays. If we got out early, students would have extra time to do homework and study for tests, which they wouldn’t be able to do during Late Start Mondays. Even though this is true, Late Start Mondays are better because students need the extra sleep.

Students would also be able to spend more time with family and friends if they got out earlier but not if they went to school later.

There are pros and cons to both sides, but in the end, Late Start Mondays are the best option for high school students.