2022 Swim Season

Jacey Beery, Reporter

Spring sports have begun and the swim team is back to their busy schedule. With 5:45 AM practices twice a week and afternoon swims from 2PM-4PM every day, the men’s and women’s swim teams are working hard to have a great 2022 season. Swim meets have already started, with the first one being a big win against Cypress High School on March 3rd for both the men and women. March 23 will be the first league meet of the season against Yorba Linda at Yorba Linda High School. The league teams that Esperanza will be competing against this year include Yorba Linda, El Dorado, and El Modena. Sophomore Alyssa Dimitriadis explains “I am most excited for the CIF relays and racing at league finals. It is so fun to race my friends from other schools.” Sophomores like Alyssa had a unique season last year due to the pandemic, so it is exciting to have a normal, full-length season in 2022. Senior Gabrial Flores says, “I am most excited for a final chance to pass old limits and achieve new goals.” Gabe is a butterflier and a freestyler and has been in the aquatics program all four years of his high school career. With six senior girls as well as seven senior boys this season, Esperanza is coming into the 2022 season strong and ready to be the best they can. All of the meets throughout the season ultimately lead up to league finals, so throughout the season, the swimmers are trying to get faster each meet. Freshman Kiana Hugins added, “I’m ready to improve all of my strokes this season, specifically butterfly.” Kiana has been a club swimmer for many years, so high school swimming is an entire new experience for her, but not completely forgein. Men’s and women’s swimming will continue through March and April, with the team continuing to work hard for the league championship victory.