The Pulse of Esperanza High School

The Aztlán

The Pulse of Esperanza High School

The Aztlán

The Pulse of Esperanza High School

The Aztlán

Pros and Cons of teamwork

What are the advantages and disadvantages of working as a team on projects?  Teamwork is vital in many different aspects of life. In almost every job out there you will have co-workers you need to work with to accomplish your goal. an article from Inner Drive about the pros and cons of group work says, “Group learning can have many benefits for students. But, when misused, it can also lead to unequal participation and time loss.” Depending on who you are working with and what it is about will change the outcome of your project. For example, if the people in your group aren’t as interested in your topic, are assigned a job they dislike, or aren’t skilled at, they can not work as hard or put in minimal effort. An article from The Family Tutor talks about the advantages of the group by saying, “The ability of students to collaborate with others, think critically, and solve problems is recognized to be reflected a lot during group work. Their intellectual, social, and emotional learning are also improved.”  In group settings people with different ideas and plans can talk about how to effectively complete an objective it also makes the workload more manageable because you can divide it up evenly and work on things you are skilled at or interested in. Group work also has its fair share of disadvantages as the Family Tutor wrote, “Group work has numerous benefits for students, but it can also hamper their ability to learn. This is especially true in unfavorable situations like significant group disagreements or when some members don’t participate or show up.” There are pros and cons to both sides of the argument but everyone should know how to work well in groups because it is a very valuable skill that will be used daily in many different occupations. Working with others can present many challenges but if you go in with the right attitude and mindset it will make things much easier. Attitude is everything and if you are kind and respectful to the people around you especially people you work with they are going be more open to listening to you and helping you when you are in need.