All dressed up

Sam Assad

Good choices. Bad Choices. So many different choices.

Halloween is just around the corner, bringing tricks and treats alike. Students are given an opportunity to dress up and show off their costumes to their fellow peers and teachers, and they are even given the chance to participate in a costume contest. However, choosing the right costume may be a struggle for some.

At this point in the year, most students know of and abide by the dress code. Unfortunately for some, the normal dress code is still in effect and must be followed or else disciplinary action will have to take place.

According to assistant principal Jamie Jauch, “The same rules apply: costumes must be school appropriate, no weapons or look-alike weapons, body parts that are normally covered by underwear need to be covered, no exposed midriffs, shirts must have sleeves, and no depiction of nudity, drugs, alcohol, etc…”

An additional rule had to be made and enforced for this time of the year. In order for staff to know who a student is, masks will be prohibited when in class and throughout the halls. This doesn’t mean that you can’t wear a mask as part of a costume, as masks are allowed for the costume contest.

Kylie Toblesky, a freshman, believes that the dress code is fair, so hopefully, no problems will arise with the new adjustments. Mrs. Jauch said, Usually, there are no problems, but sometimes we have to confiscate fake weapons or ask someone wearing something sold as a ‘sexy’ costume to call their parents for a new outfit.”

Roxanne Bandy-Gomez, a freshman who will be wearing a costume this year, says, “I look forward to seeing everyone dressed up.”

As long as students chose school appropriate costumes, Halloween will be a,  “great chance to dress up as something funny or cool, but our goal at school is always to make sure that everyone can focus on what they are learning.” according to Mrs. Jauch.