The Aztlán

Engineering Academy Builds New Kiln Ceramics

Krissy Kuwahara, Reporter

More stories from Krissy Kuwahara

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kevin Kowalski, ceramics teacher, in collaboration with the Engineering and Manufacturing Academy has recently finished the build on the brand new ceramics kiln.

Saul Pena

Saul Pena

Saul Pena

Last year, Engineering and Manufacturing Academy teacher Jeff Wallace and ceramics teacher Kevin Kowalski teamed up to have engineering students built a new kiln for the ceramics courses.

“Engineering and I worked together to design and build it [a kiln]. It has all the great features. It is different from a regular kiln. It has a different type of firing called soda firing. So you put baking soda into the kiln, and it vaporizes and spreads throughout the kiln and then it sticks to the surface of the pots,” said Kowalski.

Kowalski contacted Wallace with a plan about building the kiln. The academy provided the manufacturing experience. There will be a grand opening of the kiln in November.

Alexis Erickson, a senior in ceramics, said, “I was very surprised when I found out there was going to be a new kiln. I am going to use the kiln to fire more clay and I am looking forward to being able to make ceramics faster and to make more.”

“The most challenging thing was to make sure the door was strong and was able to shut equally. A lot of the students like to give back and it also gives a sense of ownership, so the students can look out and say we build that. That is a big part in why we do it. It allows them to give a real-world application on what they are doing and shows the skills they have learned in the classroom and in the lab applies to the outside world,” said Wallace.

“Every student in the classroom has access to put a piece of pottery in it and then the students that helped out building it benefit from that knowledge of problem-solving,” said Kowalski.

• Engineering Academy Builds New Kiln Ceramics

Showcase

CONTEST: Caption It!

Showcase

Men’s Waterpolo Season Recap

Features

Pipers Creek Geese Invade the Soccer Fields

Opinions

Why Thanksgiving Break Needs to be 3 Days Long Again

Features

Left Hand Horrors

Showcase

CONTEST: Caption It!

Showcase

Men’s Waterpolo Season Recap

Sports

Women’s Tennis Season Recap

Editorials

Schools Need to Take More Precautions With Voting on Campus

Features

The student news site of Esperanza High School