Band Alumni Rising Through the Ranks

More stories from Caroline Keefe

Colin Wu

Alumni Ryan DeWeese performing on trumpet at Dizzy’s Club Coca-Cola in New York.

Horns blaring, musical instruments sprawled out across the floor, laughter and chatter filling the room. The band room has a kind of energy unlike anything else. This very band room is the same room where legendary Ryan Deweese started at the bottom and worked his way to the top.

Ryan Deweese, trumpet player who graduated from the school in 2012, holds quite the legacy here. With all his dedication and motivation, Deweese recently got the opportunity to play with famous jazz singer, Michael Bublé, in his new album titled Love.

I got the call to play on Bublé’s album from a great arranger and educator named Jason Goldman. I had met him through some mutual friends and they just convinced him to call me to play on the album,” said Deweese. His talent can be found in “I Only Have Eyes For You,” “Such a Night,” “When You’re Smiling” and “I Get A Kick Out of You” on the Love album.

Deweese also got to actually interact and spend time with Bublé himself. He finds Bublé to be “such a sweet and hilarious guy that treated the band with the utmost respect and gratitude.” Deweese even had several jokes with Bublé, establishing a relationship, all through his skills as a trumpeter.  

Any successful individual has some sort of inspiration that gets the wheels turning. This motivation was found through his mom. “Her musical ability alone would be enough to motivate any student going into music, but what really inspires me the most is her incredible work ethic and how much care she puts into her music and her family,” said Deweese.

Deweese began playing trumpet in fourth grade and has fallen in love with the instrument ever since. Being constantly surrounded by musically inclined individuals really encouraged him to excel in playing the trumpet.

Throughout high school, Deweese grew very close with the band director, Brad Davis. A big role in Deweese’s success comes from Davis and his “knowledge of the music and commitment to excellence.” After four years of playing for Davis, Deweese claims it “was the best thing that could have happened to me at the time.”

Davis too shares a very special bond with Deweese because of the hard work the two worked through. “Ryan has worked incredibly hard to get where he is, but has stayed exceptionally personable and humble given his successes,” said Davis. 

Davis has always believed in Deweese, even from very first time he heard him play with the Bernardo Yorba Jazz Band. “I had never heard anyone that young, sound that mature,” said Davis.

Deweese finds himself coming back to help the current members of the band quite frequently. His experience in band was “monumental in [his] development as a musician and as a person and after graduating.”

Davis feels that Deweese not only makes the current students better, but also brings a great sense of positivity to the band room. “The days where he comes by to help out and hang are always a little more fun and motivating for everyone, myself included,” said Davis.

“I felt I had a responsibility to try and continue to come back and help mentor the next wave of EHS musicians in any way possible so that they too can enjoy their high school band years as much as I did,” explained Deweese.

Through all of his success and accomplishments, Deweese is found to have inspired many members of the current band along the way. Junior lead trumpet in concert band, Kaitlyn Locke, is one of the many to find his achievements to be motivating and inspirational. “His success shows me that I can get a job outside of school and I can actually do something with trumpet,” said Locke.

All that Deweese has accomplished is one thing, but his kind personality and compassionate ways have also played a part in the inspiration of others. “He’s honestly just a really nice guy that’s super easy to communicate with and very approachable,” said Locke.

Davis himself witnesses Deweese single handedly impacting these students with his success. It makes a life in music real for our students. To see someone who was in your same situation less than ten years ago being as successful as he has been, it adds that accessibility feeling that we don’t get from a lot of other professionals,” said Davis.

Deweese has made quite a mark outside of school as well. Having also been a part of playing at the GRAMMY Awards, playing in venues across Japan, Disneyland All-American College Band, Carnegie Hall and many more really inspires those who seek a future in playing the trumpet.

“My job when [Deweese] was here was to provide challenges and opportunities for him.  Now that he’s out in the world, he is creating those opportunities for himself because of his great talent and dedication to his craft.  I love seeing what he’s up to and where is life is taking him,” said Davis.